April 1 Easter Morning Mass to be celebrated in St. Peter’s Square
VATICAN CITY — As is customary when first publishing the pope’s calendar for Holy Week, the Vatican did not provide the time or place for his celebration of the Mass of the Lord’s Supper on Holy Thursday.
Pope Francis has made it a tradition to celebrate the Mass and foot washing ritual at a prison or detention center, refugee center or rehabilitation facility.
Here is Pope Francis’ schedule for Holy Week and Easter:
- April 14, Palm Sunday, 10 a.m. Mass in St. Peter’s Square.April 18, chrism Mass, 9:30 a.m. in St. Peter’s Basilica.
- April 19, Good Friday, 5 p.m. liturgy of the Lord’s passion in St. Peter’s Basilica.
- April 19, Way of the Cross, 9:15 p.m., Rome’s Colosseum.
- April 20, Easter vigil Mass, 8:30 p.m., St. Peter’s Basilica.
- April 21, Easter morning Mass, 10 a.m., St. Peter’s Square, followed at noon by the pope’s blessing “urbi et orbi” (the city and the world) from the central balcony of St. Peter’s Basilica. n