Saint George Byzantine Catholic Church Youngstown, OH

Contact Details

Address

Saint George Byzantine Catholic Church

1762 Canfield Road

Youngstown, OH. 44511 Get Directions

History

The migration of the Hungarian Byzantine Catholics to the United States over 90 years ago is a part of history. The people were as spiritually rich as they were poor in material goods. In Youngstown, Ohio these pious and religious people settled on the west side in an area called “Hungarian Village.” However, they lacked what they treasured most— their own Byzantine Catholic Church. Since 1914 these people, with Very Reverend Alexander Papp, had labored hard to establish a church of their own. In May 1917 they purchased a church at 702 Mahoning Avenue for $10,000, which they adapted to the needs of Byzantine Catholic worship. In September 1917 the solemn blessing of the church was celebrated. In recognition of their heroic sacrifices, the members of St. George parish still keep in their prayers the thankful remembrance of Father Papp and the founders. Father Ernest Suba was the first resident pastor. The faithful purchased a rectory at 815 Tod Avenue, which then was a beautiful residential area. Several priests followed until the appointment of Father Alexander Punyko in 1950. In 1962, a home on Canfield Road with seven acres bordering Mill Creek Park was purchased. The following year, Father John Loya implemented a program for the construction of a new church building next to the home, which became the new parish rectory. The new church of St. George was solemnly blessed and dedicated in September 1968.