6515 Millertown Pike, Knoxville, Tenn. 37924Knoxville, TN. 37917 Get Directions
Holy Resurrection Byzantine Catholic Mission began in 1999 under the auspices of Archbishop Judson M. Procyk. At that time Holy Resurrection met at Holy Family Roman Catholic Church in Seymour, Tennessee, where Father Thomas O’Connell, a bi-ritual priest from the Diocese of Knoxville, was the pastor. During the first ten years, Father O’Connell was joined in serving the congregation by Father Deacon Ronald Volek, originally from the Roman diocese of Cleveland, Ohio, and now a permanent deacon with bi-ritual faculties from the Archeparchy of Pittsburgh.
In 2009, the mission was invited to move to a more central location just north of downtown Knoxville by Monsignor Xavier Mankel, the pastor of Holy Ghost Roman Catholic Church. During this time, preparations and remodeling were made to the original Holy Ghost Church, a building which had been built in 1908 before the current church was constructed in 1926. On Easter Sunday of 2011, the first Divine Liturgy was held in the newly redesigned church located at 1031 North Central Avenue, Knoxville, TN 37917. Father O’Connell and Father Deacon Volek continued to serve the community in the new location.
In December 2015, the congregation moved to their own permanent church location at 6515 Millertown Pike, Knoxville.