Administrator: Very Reverend Frank A. Firko
Deacon: Deacon Michael E. Meaders
1437 Superior AvenuePittsburgh, PA. 15212 Get Directions
Holy Ghost Byzantine Catholic Church was founded on Pentecost Sunday, May 18, 1902, by Father John Korotnoki, who came to the United States from the Eparchy of Prešov. The church originally was located on Doer Street in the Woods Run section of Pittsburgh’s North Side, (opposite the State Penitentiary). In 1921 new property was acquired for relocation. However, in 1925 the interior of the church was partially destroyed by fire, prompting a new church to be built on Superior Avenue, North Side, in 1927. This second church was dedicated in 1928. Despite financial distress, the tireless efforts of the congregation enabled the burning of the mortgage on June 9, 1946.
A variety of parish groups was organized over the years: the Altar Society in 1907, the Carpathian Club in 1931, the SS. Cyril & Methodius Guild in 1950, the Holy Name Society in 1958, the Senior Rosary Society in 1922, and the Junior Rosary Society in 1952. Other notable events include the 60th anniversary and re-dedication of the church on Pentecost Sunday, June 10, 1962, the 75th anniversary on Pentecost Sunday, May 29, 1977, and the 100th anniversary in 2002.
In 1968, land opposite the church was purchased for a future Social Center/Educational facility. It was dedicated on Pentecost Sunday, May 30, 1971. The first annual Bazaar and Festival in the Center was held November 13 – 15, 1971.
Holy Ghost Church and Social Center also became the venue for the annual Archieparchial commemoration of couples observing their 25th and 50th wedding anniversaries. This event began in 1971 and is still celebrated in the Archeparchy every September.
In 1967, Anna Kalnas, the first president and organizer of the parish SS. Cyril & Methodius Guild, received the “Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice” award from Bishop Nicholas Elko, honoring her dedicated service to Holy Ghost Church and the Greek Catholic Union for half a century.
Holy Ghost Church became the mother church of St. Andrew the Apostle Church of Gibsonia, established in 1975.