Priest: Reverend James A. Ragan
Deacon: Deacon John A. Custaney
Deacon: Dennis M. Prestash
- Website: http://www.byzcath.org/centralpa/
24 Fulton StreetHawk Run, PA. 16840-0002 Get Directions
The Byzantine Catholic community of Hawk Run, Pa., originated from Central Europe as part of the great emigration beginning before 1900. Most of the immigrants came from a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire known as the Subcarpathian Region, specifically the counties of Špiš, Šariš, and Zemplyn.
During the winter of 1903, a number of families became interested in erecting a church in Hawk Run. Between November and June 1904, these active families collected $1798.74 and purchased two parcels of land for $150.
The church was constructed of wood on a stone foundation. It was dedicated on the feast of St. John the Baptist, July 7, 1904. Approximately 2,000 were present, many of them having come from neighboring towns on special trains. The first pastor was Father Stephen Polansky.
Around 1920, a floor-to-ceiling icon screen was installed. It has been preserved in excellent condition over the years and adds to the beauty of this century-old church. In later years, the original bell tower underwent major renovations. The old wooden dome and cross were removed and replaced with a bronze dome and new Byzantine cross.