Priest: Reverend Regis J. Dusecina
624 East Pittsburgh StreetGreensburg, PA. 15601 Get Directions
In 1955 local Byzantine Catholic families in the Greensburg, Pa. area were surveyed regarding the establishment of a Byzantine Catholic parish there. The results of the poll were favorable enough for the pastor of St. Mary Byzantine Church in Herminie to petition Bishop Nicholas Elko to form a new parish.
On October 1, 1955 a mission to St. Mary Church was organized in Greensburg, some 11 miles east of Herminie, under the title of Transfiguration of Our Lord Greek Catholic Church. Father Josaphat Popovich, OSB was the first pastor. With no church building, the second floor of a fire station was rented for $10 per Sunday, and on October 5, a handful of people were present for the first Divine Liturgy.
In December twelve families leased the old Spiritual Church of South Greensburg on Broad Street. It was washed, decorated and made presentable for the celebration of Christmas on January 7, 1956.
On February 2, 1958 the first resident pastor was appointed. As there was no parish house, the pastor resided with a parish family. It was not long until the parishioners purchased the present property on East Pittsburgh Street on August 28. Converting the first floor of what is now the rectory to a chapel/church, they dedicated the parish on May 10, 1959. The name Transfiguration Church officially was changed to St. Nicholas of Myra.
On April 8, 1962 groundbreaking for a permanent structure was held and two years later, the church was dedicated on May 24, 1964. Four years later a beautiful dome and a bell system were erected atop the tower of the church. The garage was remodeled as a center for Eastern Christian Formation. In 1971 renovation and remodeling included the rectory, the catechetical center as well as paving a parking lot.
The parish celebrated its 25th Anniversary on October 19, 1980. The Liturgy celebrated that day at St. Nicholas Church was especially significant because it was broadcast overseas via Radio Free Europe. On August 28, 1983 the new icon screen and altar were dedicated at the official mortgage burning.
In 1986 further renovations were made to the church interior and the social hall.
In October 2005, the parish celebrated its milestone anniversary of 50 years. Prior to this date, many renovation projects have been completed on the parish complex. Throughout these years St. Nicholas Church has continued to be noted in the Greensburg area for its delicious pirohy and ethnic foods.