Administrator: Reverend Stephen J. Wahal
511 Murray AvenueDonora, PA. 15033 Get Directions
The Byzantine Catholic faithful in the Donora area originally attended Holy Ghost Church in Charleroi, about six miles southwest along the Monongahela River. In 1901 a branch of the Greek Catholic Union Lodge No. 252 was organized under the name of St. Michael. It was during that time that the members of Lodge No. 252 began to think of building a church in Donora. After a number of years of patiently waiting, the first organizational meeting was held on April 11, 1904 in the Vargo Hall in Donora. A church charter was applied for and granted in the name of “St. Michael’s Slavish Greek Catholic Church.” The entire work of organization was begun and accomplished by the people themselves. Construction of the first wooden church and rectory was begun and completed in 1904. As the construction of the church came to a close, Father Emil Seregelly became the first resident pastor.
It soon became evident that the church was proving to be too small for the increasing numbers of people. As a result, the construction of a new brick church was begun in 1911 on the site of the old church. On September 4, 1911, the cornerstone was blessed. The first Divine Liturgy in the new church (which remains in use to this day) was celebrated on the fifth Sunday of Lent, 1912.
In 1914 the old wooden rectory was moved to a new location and became the home of the parish cantor. The present brick rectory was built on the site of the old rectory.
Twenty-five acres were purchased in Carroll Township in 1932 for the parish cemetery. In later years, several properties were purchased for parking lots and major remodeling. Redecorating of the church also was completed.
St. Michael parish has given five vocations to the priesthood, including Archbishop Nicholas T. Elko, and three vocations to religious life.