The most characteristic feature of a Byzantine Rite church is the iconostasis (Gr. eikon-image; stasis-stand, support), attracting attention by its artistic composition and design. It is a colorful picture screen that separates the sanctuary from the nave, surround ing the sanctuary with a certain feeling of mystery and protection. Usually, it is an elaborate work of art in which the skills of architecture, woodcarving or metal-work and painting generously concur. Its present form reflects the particular features of Ruthenian art which should be meticulously preserved, since they belong to our spiritual heritage. Continue reading
Sept. 29 saw the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Church of the Resurrection in Monroeville, Pa. The Hierarchical Divine Liturgy was celebrated by Metropolitan William Skurla, Very Rev. Robert Pipta served as Master of Ceremonies and seminarians assisted.
Clergy guests included Fathers Bob Karl and Joel Barstad, as well as Fathers Ron Larkin and Joseph Raptosh, who spoke at the luncheon about the church’s past. The luncheon itself was held in the church social hall and included picture displays and items of historical interest, a buffet dinner including the ladies’ delicious homemade by Father Don Bolls Church of the Resurrection, Monroeville, Pa. cookies, a slide carousel of photos old and new, and ethnic music by the band Zajedno.
The approximately 150 people in attendance seemed to thoroughly enjoy everything and appreciative comments were the order of the day. Lastly, Father Dennis Bogda, beloved founding pastor of the church, who went to rest in the Lord only a few days before the event, was lifted up and remembered for his energy, imagination, and love for this and all the churches he served.
Many thanks to all who made this celebration possible. Continue reading
Thirty-four pilgrims led by Archbishop William Skurla and Very Rev. Andrew Deskevich, Protosyncellus, traveled to the Holy Land Sept. 15 to 24 as part of celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Byzantine Catholic Metropolitan Church of Pittsburgh. The professional guide … Continue reading
Very Rev. Archpriest Dennis Michael Bogda, a retired priest of the Archeparchy of Pittsburgh, fell asleep in the Lord on Sunday, Sept. 21 at St. Barnabas Nursing Home, Gibsonia, Pa. where he had been a resident. Archpriest Dennis was born … Continue reading
Today, I’ll continue our series on the “Fruits of the Holy Spirit” and talk about joy and peace. Are they possible? Oh, yes. It does require something, though: placing God at the very center of our lives; central to all … Continue reading
Archbishop William Skurla presents St. George emblem to Marylyn Barone for dedication to scouting Archbishop William Skurla came to Holy Trinity in Wall, Pa. on Oct. 12 and concelebrated the 4 p.m. Divine Liturgy with Father Don Bolls. The reason … Continue reading
WORLD NEWS (Catholic News Service)
Read the latest world news as reported by Catholic News Service. With headquarters in Washington, offices in New York and Rome, and correspondents around the world, CNS provides the most comprehensive coverage of the church today.
- Worn marble steps of Holy Stairs to be uncovered for public to climb
- At memorial Mass, CRS remembers four employees who died in plane crash
- Update: After attacks, New Zealand bishops tell Muslims: 'We hold you in prayer'
- Researcher: Difference between 'considering leaving' and 'leaving' church
- Head of African youth network: Listen to young people on ecology
- Update: Amid call for boycott of Lenten appeals, some see harm to poor, needy
- South Carolina Catholic school given national award for 'full inclusion'
- For Lent, Irish Catholics urged to abandon 'weapons of mass distraction'
- Update: Judge sentences Cardinal Pell to six years in prison on abuse charges
- CLINIC says South Sudan TPS extension should have included new arrivals
- Encore: USCCB publishes revised translation of rite for blessing holy oils
- Actress calls her deafness 'a gift'; remembers Catholic school as 'family'
- Update: Four CRS staffers, humanitarian workers aboard Ethiopian jet that crashed
- Benedictine abbot leads pope, curial officials in Lenten retreat
- Pope meets top leaders of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Group's immigrant solidarity project 'not about politics,' organizers say
- Don't join devil's game of jealousy, pope says at Mass
- Immigration reform among priorities for new USCCB president
- Fund helps displaced Bahamas students, teachers after Hurricane Dorian
- Catholics lead rosary on way to DACA rally outside Supreme Court
- Archbishop Gomez elected USCCB president; first Latino in post
- Don't join devil's game of jealously, pope says at Mass
- Bishop Barron urges bishops to help bring people back to the church
- O'Malley: Vatican may 'soon' release details of McCarrick investigation
- Rural-urban convenings suggested to address plague of gun violence
- In final presidential address, Cardinal DiNardo urges new beginning
- Ministry, mission, communion key points in nuncio's talk to U.S. bishops
- Everyday Heroes: For Catholic vet, 'doing right thing' outweighed risks