The Holy Mystery (Sacrament) of Matrimony is one of the seven channels of divine grace, instituted by Christ, to sanctify and to support Christian family life. A Christian marriage is a vocation, that is a special invitation of God to two baptized persons to marital union, in order to devote themselves to the service of a new life in Christ. Continue reading
Sept. 29 saw the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Church of the Resurrection in Monroeville, Pa. The Hierarchical Divine Liturgy was celebrated by Metropolitan William Skurla, Very Rev. Robert Pipta served as Master of Ceremonies and seminarians assisted.
Clergy guests included Fathers Bob Karl and Joel Barstad, as well as Fathers Ron Larkin and Joseph Raptosh, who spoke at the luncheon about the church’s past. The luncheon itself was held in the church social hall and included picture displays and items of historical interest, a buffet dinner including the ladies’ delicious homemade by Father Don Bolls Church of the Resurrection, Monroeville, Pa. cookies, a slide carousel of photos old and new, and ethnic music by the band Zajedno.
The approximately 150 people in attendance seemed to thoroughly enjoy everything and appreciative comments were the order of the day. Lastly, Father Dennis Bogda, beloved founding pastor of the church, who went to rest in the Lord only a few days before the event, was lifted up and remembered for his energy, imagination, and love for this and all the churches he served.
Many thanks to all who made this celebration possible. Continue reading
Thirty-four pilgrims led by Archbishop William Skurla and Very Rev. Andrew Deskevich, Protosyncellus, traveled to the Holy Land Sept. 15 to 24 as part of celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Byzantine Catholic Metropolitan Church of Pittsburgh. The professional guide … Continue reading
Very Rev. Archpriest Dennis Michael Bogda, a retired priest of the Archeparchy of Pittsburgh, fell asleep in the Lord on Sunday, Sept. 21 at St. Barnabas Nursing Home, Gibsonia, Pa. where he had been a resident. Archpriest Dennis was born … Continue reading
Today, I’ll continue our series on the “Fruits of the Holy Spirit” and talk about joy and peace. Are they possible? Oh, yes. It does require something, though: placing God at the very center of our lives; central to all … Continue reading
Archbishop William Skurla presents St. George emblem to Marylyn Barone for dedication to scouting Archbishop William Skurla came to Holy Trinity in Wall, Pa. on Oct. 12 and concelebrated the 4 p.m. Divine Liturgy with Father Don Bolls. The reason … Continue reading
WORLD NEWS (Catholic News Service)
Read the latest world news as reported by Catholic News Service. With headquarters in Washington, offices in New York and Rome, and correspondents around the world, CNS provides the most comprehensive coverage of the church today.
- Worn marble steps of Holy Stairs to be uncovered for public to climb
- At memorial Mass, CRS remembers four employees who died in plane crash
- Update: After attacks, New Zealand bishops tell Muslims: 'We hold you in prayer'
- Researcher: Difference between 'considering leaving' and 'leaving' church
- Head of African youth network: Listen to young people on ecology
- Update: Amid call for boycott of Lenten appeals, some see harm to poor, needy
- South Carolina Catholic school given national award for 'full inclusion'
- For Lent, Irish Catholics urged to abandon 'weapons of mass distraction'
- Update: Judge sentences Cardinal Pell to six years in prison on abuse charges
- CLINIC says South Sudan TPS extension should have included new arrivals
- Encore: USCCB publishes revised translation of rite for blessing holy oils
- Actress calls her deafness 'a gift'; remembers Catholic school as 'family'
- Update: Four CRS staffers, humanitarian workers aboard Ethiopian jet that crashed
- Benedictine abbot leads pope, curial officials in Lenten retreat
- Pope meets top leaders of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Group's immigrant solidarity project 'not about politics,' organizers say
- NCYC goes from rowdy to reverent for Blessed Sacrament, pope's message
- Government supporters besiege another Nicaraguan church
- Be brave enough to dialogue, pope tells Thai religious leaders
- Federal judge blocks scheduled executions of federal death-row inmates
- Response to migration is sign of character, pope says in Thailand
- Church becomes improvised morgue as Bolivian violence continues
- Mission is seeking family members you don't know yet, pope tells Thais
- Students collect soil from lynching site in act to achieve racial justice
- After U.S. reversal, Vatican reiterates two states needed in Holy Land
- Welcoming pope after long flight, Thais keep it warm and informal
- Everyday Heroes: Priest who once dreamed of majors now an MLB chaplain
- In health scare, Jeannie Gaffigan relied on combined dose of faith, humor