We have various days and seasons of Fast in the Byzantine Rite but, in this pamphlet, we will limit our presentation to the pre-Paschal Fast known as the Great Fast. It is called the Great Fast not only on account of its duration (seven weeks) but mainly on account of its importance for the spiritual renewal of the faithful. In the Old Slavonic, the Great Fast is called ” Svjata Chetyredesjatnicja,” meaning the Holy Forty Days while in English, it is called Lent from the Anglo-Saxon Lencten, meaning spring. The Great Fast can be described as a forty-day period of prayer, penance, and spiritual exercises in preparation for the proper celebration of Easter. Continue reading
The Byzantine Catholic Church of the Resurrection in Monroeville, Pa. celebrated their annual Holy Supper Dec. 22. The day began with Divine Liturgy. Father Don Bolls, pastor, began his homily with a greeting in Slovak — which he
did very well, noting he is still learning the language.
After the service, the congregation moved to the church hall. The kitchen staff put together a lovely table with baked cod as the main course and a variety of dishes prepared by the participants. Included in the spread were
potato and rice casseroles, salads and several desserts — all made with neither meat nor dairy products.
Of course, no celebration would be complete without a visit by St. Nicholas! The dear patron arrived dressed in full regalia and spoke to a group of listening children. He told the kids that, although they may receive many presents for Christmas, “the best gift is Jesus.” Afterward, he handed out “brown bag” treats to each child.
Throughout the event, Christmas carols were sung and parishioners and guests caught up with each other with well wishes. All left in good spirits, ready to celebrate the birth of our Lord. Continue reading
Archbishop William Skurla presents vocation report to Serra Club Archbishop William Skurla graciously accepted the Byzantine Serra Club’s invitation to speak at the Jan. 15 dinner meeting and give an update on Seminary developments. Archbishop William opened with the announcement … Continue reading
Sister Barbara Jean Mihalchick posts videos of her reflections each week at the Facebook of the Sisters of St. Basil the Great. View them at : https://www.facebook.com/sistersofstbasil.uniontown/. This is a transcript of her July 26, 2019 reflection and is Part … Continue reading
St. John the baptist cathedral to host church music day On Cheesefare Saturday, Feb. 22, the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, will host the inaugural Church Music Day for the Archeparchy of Pittsburgh. From 9 a.m. to noon, there … Continue reading
Near the beginning of the film “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood,” writer and reporter Lloyd Viogel (Matthew Rhys) is accepting an award for one of his stories. Lloyd begins his remarks by saying someone once asked him why he … Continue reading
WORLD NEWS (Catholic News Service)
Read the latest world news as reported by Catholic News Service. With headquarters in Washington, offices in New York and Rome, and correspondents around the world, CNS provides the most comprehensive coverage of the church today.
- Worn marble steps of Holy Stairs to be uncovered for public to climb
- At memorial Mass, CRS remembers four employees who died in plane crash
- Update: After attacks, New Zealand bishops tell Muslims: 'We hold you in prayer'
- Researcher: Difference between 'considering leaving' and 'leaving' church
- Head of African youth network: Listen to young people on ecology
- Update: Amid call for boycott of Lenten appeals, some see harm to poor, needy
- South Carolina Catholic school given national award for 'full inclusion'
- For Lent, Irish Catholics urged to abandon 'weapons of mass distraction'
- Update: Judge sentences Cardinal Pell to six years in prison on abuse charges
- CLINIC says South Sudan TPS extension should have included new arrivals
- Encore: USCCB publishes revised translation of rite for blessing holy oils
- Actress calls her deafness 'a gift'; remembers Catholic school as 'family'
- Update: Four CRS staffers, humanitarian workers aboard Ethiopian jet that crashed
- Benedictine abbot leads pope, curial officials in Lenten retreat
- Pope meets top leaders of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Group's immigrant solidarity project 'not about politics,' organizers say
- In prepared speech, pope warns clergy on pitfalls of bitterness
- Pope skips penance service with Rome clergy due to mild cold
- Through their work, couple shares life, hope with people at end of theirs
- Pope: Lent is a time to reflect on God's love, not 'useless sermons'
- Archbishop Naumann calls Senate rejection of pro-life bills 'appalling'
- Shut off cellphone, open Bible for Lent, pope tells faithful
- In Detroit, families begin to see Sundays as a day of rest, togetherness
- Pope: Christians with humility, not grand titles, are the greatest ones
- Papal academy invites tech giants to support ethical guidelines for AI
- High court to examine religious liberty, foster care by same-sex couples
- Leap year's extra day has a Catholic origin
- Northern Italian dioceses take drastic measures against coronavirus