Good Friday, known to the primitive Church as the Pasch of Crucifixion, was since apostolic times, dedicated to the solemn commemoration of the passion of our Lord. By the word “passion”, we understand all the sufferings endured by our divine Savior, from the Last Supper until His death on the cross, including His burial. Continue reading
The 16th annual Women’s Day of Reflection will be held 9 a.m.-2:30 p.m. May 11 at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, 210 Greentree Road, Munhall, Pa.
A dedicated committee meets throughout the year to plan and coordinate the day, working with a theme of interest to women to help them grow in their spirituality. The springtime event features a schedule of three speakers who focus on the chosen theme of the day; luncheon; vendors and a bountiful basket auction with proceeds donated to local women’s shelters.
This year’s theme is “God Speaks: Do We Listen?” Presenters include:
Lillian Leonardi (“My Spiritual Homecoming”). Lillian Leonardi served from 1998 to 2010 in the FBI, Pittsburgh Division, as its Community Outreach Specialist. On Sept. 11, 2001, within three hours after the crash of Flight 93 in Shanksville, Pa, she was at the site, where she spent the next 12 days. She has written a book about her experience entitled “In the Shadow of a Badge: A Memoir About Flight 93, a Field of Angels, and My Spiritual Homecoming.” Post-9/11, Leonardi represented the FBI in collaboration on three projects relating to Flight 93. Prior to her FBI career, Leonardi was appointed in 1984 to serve as the first female police officer in the city of Arnold, Pa., where she specialized in crime prevention and investigations of crimes against children. After her 25-year career of service in law enforcement, Lillie Leonardi is pursuing her lifelong passion for writing.
Jennifer Miele (“God Speaks to All Generations”. Continue reading
During the month of May, we thank God for our mothers and all we have received from them. It’s also good to remember the other women who have played an important role in our lives, from grandmothers and aunts to … Continue reading
During one scene in historian Kenneth Clark’s d o c u m e n t a r y televisions series “Civilisation,” which aired in the United Kingdom 1966 to 1969, he is standing near the River Seine in Paris, France. … Continue reading
Paska baking is an all-ages affair at St. Mary in Weirton, W. VA. For decades, volunteers have gathered in the church hall at St. Mary in Weirton, W. Va. on Lazarus Saturday to prepare dozens of delicious loaves of paska … Continue reading
Celebrating the Entrance of Our Lord into Jerusalem, Palm Sunday has become very festive at St. Gregory. Parts of the Divine Liturgy were sang by our Chant Group and Youth Chorus. At the conclusion of the Divine Liturgy, the faithful … Continue reading
WORLD NEWS (Catholic News Service)
Read the latest world news as reported by Catholic News Service. With headquarters in Washington, offices in New York and Rome, and correspondents around the world, CNS provides the most comprehensive coverage of the church today.
- Worn marble steps of Holy Stairs to be uncovered for public to climb
- At memorial Mass, CRS remembers four employees who died in plane crash
- Update: After attacks, New Zealand bishops tell Muslims: 'We hold you in prayer'
- Researcher: Difference between 'considering leaving' and 'leaving' church
- Head of African youth network: Listen to young people on ecology
- Update: Amid call for boycott of Lenten appeals, some see harm to poor, needy
- South Carolina Catholic school given national award for 'full inclusion'
- For Lent, Irish Catholics urged to abandon 'weapons of mass distraction'
- Update: Judge sentences Cardinal Pell to six years in prison on abuse charges
- CLINIC says South Sudan TPS extension should have included new arrivals
- Encore: USCCB publishes revised translation of rite for blessing holy oils
- Actress calls her deafness 'a gift'; remembers Catholic school as 'family'
- Update: Four CRS staffers, humanitarian workers aboard Ethiopian jet that crashed
- Benedictine abbot leads pope, curial officials in Lenten retreat
- Pope meets top leaders of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Group's immigrant solidarity project 'not about politics,' organizers say
- Catholic Charities weighing response to violent Midwest storms, flooding
- Update: Students plan to raise nuclear weapon dangers in fall return to campuses
- Family portraits, mutual support part of Caritas global assembly
- Christopher Leadership Award goes to CEO of Tunnel to Towers Foundation
- Foster brotherhood, solidarity, pope tells new ambassadors
- 'Game' over: the five stages of being a 'Thrones' fan
- Pope prays for Spanish missionary murdered in Central African Republic
- Prayer not possible without Holy Spirit, pope says at audience
- As migrants continue streaming into Mexico, donor fatigue sets in
- Update: Dominican combines music, Scripture for parish mission experience
- Officials say Vatican must continue to monitor financial activity
- El Salvador lays to rest another priest presumably assassinated by gangs