PENTECOST and OUR BAPTISM BY THE HOLY SPIRIT “We celebrate the feast of Pentecost and of the descent of the Spirit, the fulfillment of promise and the achievement of hope. 0 how great and how exalted is the mystery!” (Pentecost Vespers, STICHERA, Tone 1) With these words we begin our liturgical celebration of Pentecost, solemnly concluding the yearly remembrance of our salvation. These words are taken from the famous homily of St. Gregory the Theologian, “On the Holy Spirit” which he delivered in Constantinople on the day of Pentecost, 381 A.D. (Oration 41,5) Continue reading
Archbishop William C. Skurla provides words of welcome to his successor as apostolic
administrator of the Eparchy of Parma, Bishop Milan Lach:
Dear Bishop Lach,
Welcome to your new position as apostolic administrator of the Byzantine Eparchy of Parma!
We look forward to your arrival and Divine Liturgy of Welcome on July 21. Preparations for
your arrival have begun.
We thank you for accepting the position from our Holy Father Francis, Pope of Rome.
You have done exceptional work within your home Archeparchy of Presov as an auxiliary bishop.
We hope that you will continue your fine work as a pastor and spiritual leader of the people of
Parma during your time as apostolic administrator.
The clergy, religious and people of the Eparchy of Parma await the announcement of the next
bishop of the Eparchy of Parma, when they will rejoice and celebrate again.
We wish you success in your new assignmment as the apostolic administrator. And, we wish you
many happy and blessed years! Continue reading
Dear Priests, Deacons, Religious, Brothers and Sisters in Christ, Our Holy Father Pope Francis appointed me apostolic administrator “sede vacante” of the Eparchy of Parma for the Ruthenians June 17, 2017. The decree was published June 24, 2017 in Rome. … Continue reading
Divine Liturgy of Welcome Celebrated July 21. PARMA, OHIO — The clergy and faithful of the Eparchy of Parma welcomed Slovak Bishop Milan Lach as their new apostolic administrator during a Divine Liturgy July 21. The 43-year-old Jesuit was serving … Continue reading
This year’s theme is “Mary: Lifegiving Spring” The 83rd annual Pilgrimage in honor of Our Lady of Perpetual Help will be held Sept. 2 to 3 at Mount St. Macrina in Uniontown, Pa. This year’s theme is “Mary: Life-Giving Spring.” … Continue reading
Students gather for Deacon Formation Program From June 18 to July 1, 16 men from six different eparchies gathered at the Byzantine Catholic Seminary of SS. Cyril and Methodius in Pittsburgh, Pa. to continue their study and formation for the … Continue reading
WORLD NEWS (Catholic News Service)
Read the latest world news as reported by Catholic News Service. With headquarters in Washington, offices in New York and Rome, and correspondents around the world, CNS provides the most comprehensive coverage of the church today.
- Cling to the Lord, not horoscopes, fortunetellers, pope says
- Archbishop says Blessed Romero could be canonized next year
- Bishops ask for peace after white nationalist rally turns deadly
- Experts say law-abiding migrants at greater deportation risk under Trump
- Nun known as ‘Mother Teresa of Pakistan’ to receive state funeral
- Cardinal calls Salvadorans to reflect on true meaning of martyrdom
- Bishop Cantu calls for diplomacy to ease U.S.-North Korea differences
- Italians debate whether rescuing migrants at sea can be a crime
- Catholic Relief Services looks to change concept of world’s orphanages
- Eclipse a way to appreciate creation, Vatican astronomer tells audience
- Pope leads prayers for an end to 'inhuman violence' of terrorism
- Pope urges respect for the life and dignity of migrants, refugees
- Being legally blind doesn't hinder Catholic priest in serving his flock
- Vatican pharmacy does booming business
- Catholic leaders urge prayers, unity after attacks in Spain
- Congregation centennial: Supporting Eastern Catholics against all odds
- Pope offers prayers for victims of terrorist attack in Barcelona
- U.S. Catholic parishes, schools happy to be in path of solar eclipse
- Kosovo to dedicate cathedral named for Mother Teresa
- Ohio community cafe responds to hunger while building a following
- Papal envoy calls Blessed Romero 'martyr of hope'