The Archeparchy of Pittsburgh traces its official establishment as the first Greek Catholic Exarchate in the United States to March 8, 1924. At that time, the Holy See announced the creation of two Greek Catholic exarchates (missionary dioceses) in the U.S.: one for those of Ukrainian descent, and the other for those of Carpatho-Rusyn, Hungarian, Slovak and Croatian descent. Originally located in New York City, the center was moved in 1925 to Munhall, Pa. The description ‘Greek Catholic’ was used until 1956, when the word ‘Greek’ officially was exchanged for ‘Byzantine’ as a means to identify and clarify the Church’s unique religious and ritual practices. In 1963, the Exarchate was divided into two regions, each raised to the status of eparchy. Six years later, with the creation of a third eparchy in1969, the Eparchy of Munhall was raised to the status of Archeparchy, and the Byzantine Catholic Metropolitan Church sui iuris (self-governing) officially was established. The Archeparchy was renamed ‘Metropolitan Archeparchy of Pittsburgh’ in 1977.
The Eparchy of Passaic was established July 31, 1963 by dividing the then-singular Eparchy of Munhall into two separate eparchies. The Chancery office is located at 415 Lackawanna Avenue, West Paterson, NJ. The Cathedral of St. Michael the Archangel is located at 96 First Street, Passaic, New Jersey.
The Eparchy of Parma was established February 21, 1969 as the third eparchy of the Byzantine Catholic Church in America. The Chancery and the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist are located at 1900 Carlton Road in Parma, Ohio.
Holy Protection of Mary Eparchy of Phoenix, originally established as the Eparchy of Van Nuys on March 9, 1982, is the fourth eparchy of the Byzantine Catholic (Ruthenian) Church in America. The eparchial Chancery was moved from Van Nuys to St. Stephen Cathedral at 8141 North 16th Street in Phoenix, Arizona in 1994; in February 2010, Pope Benedict XVI officially approved the eparchy’s name change.
Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
Most Reverend William C. Skurla, DD , Metropolitan Archbishop
66 Riverview Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15214
Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Passaic
Very Reverend Edward G. Cimbala, Administrator
445 Lackawanna Avenue
Woodland Park, New Jersey 07424
Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Parma
Most Reverend John M. Kudrick, Bishop
1900 Carlton Rd.
Parma, OH 44134
Phone: (216) 741-8773
Fax: (216) 741-9356
Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix
Most Reverend Gerald N. Dino, Bishop
8105 North 16th St.
Phoenix, AZ 85020