UNIONTOWN — In this year 2015, called for by Pope Francis as the Year of Consecrated Life, jubilees are an opportunity for all of the Sisters of Saint Basil the Great to thank God for the gift of their vocation. After two days of presentations and discussion during their annual Community Days in mid-July, the Basilian Sisters paused to honor three of their own celebrating significant years of religious dedication.
Celebrating their 70th Anniversary of religious life were Sister Martha Elizabeth Moyta and Sister Leocadia Sevachko; celebrating her 60th Anniversary was Sister Barbara Swindells. The hallmark of every such celebration is the Divine Liturgy of Thanksgiving offered for the intentions of the Jubilarians. Joyful voices were raised in praise and thanksgiving for the gift of the fidelity of these three sisters. This joy continued during the festive meal following, a time which is always punctuated by a lot of laughter and reminiscing.
Sister Martha Elizabeth Moyta entered the Sisters of St. Basil from Holy Ghost Parish, North Side Pittsburgh, Pa. Continue reading
Candidates Ordained to Minor Orders at Cathedral by Archbishop William Ordained to Minor Orders Sunday, July 19 at The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Munhall, Pa. were Jeffrey Mierzejewski (St. Elias Church, Munhall, Pa.), Brian Norrell (St. Basil … Continue reading
WASHINGTON — Federal funds should be reallocated so women can obtain their health care from providers that do not promote abortion, Cardinal Seán P. O’Malley, archbishop of Boston, said in an August 3 letter to the U.S. Senate. Cardinal O’Malley, … Continue reading
WASHINGTON — Cardinal Seán O’Malley, OFM Cap., archbishop of Boston and chairman of the Committee on Pro-Life Activities of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), responded, July 29, to recent videos showing leaders from Planned Parenthood discussing the provision … Continue reading
Clymer, Ernest Parishes’ 4th Annual Picnic The Church offers you an incredible opportunity to build relationships built by God. So live your life in the Church with love and compassion! Saint Anne Church (Clymer, Pa.), Saint Jude Thaddeus Church (Ernest, … Continue reading
WORLD NEWS (Catholic News Service)
- Mayors discuss ways to promote equality, environmental protection in their cities
- World's mayors head to Vatican, vow to tackle climate change, poverty
- California governor says 'Laudato Si'' was necessary wake-up call
- Pope declares Ukrainian church leader 'venerable'
- Pope: Mining industry needs radical change to protect people, nature
- Lessons from South America: How to greet and understand Pope Francis
- Under new system, Vatican budgets show previously unreported assets
- Bishop: Vatican is free to work with everyone, UN is not the 'devil'
- Vatican welcomes Iran's historic nuclear deal
- Pope says he'll read critiques of his economic thought before U.S. trip
- South America, Cuba-U.S. trip itineraries show heart of pope's faith
- Close to home, pope highlights need for cooperation for common good